Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drugs

+2
ststeff
its always the quiet ones
6 posters

:: DEBATES

Go down

Drugs Empty Drugs

Post by its always the quiet ones Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Should drugs be illegal?
Or do we have freedom over our own bodies?
Every year more Americans are killed from alcohol poisoning than from all drugs combined.
There has never been a recorded death caused by marijuana overdose.

If we end the war on drugs, police would be able to spend more time and resources on pursuing and ending actual crimes.
The money saved by police plus the money earned from the taxation of drugs would help a lot in pulling the US out of debt.
Addicts could be correctly treated and rehabilitated, making room in jails for actual criminals.
Gang violence would be reduced -- drug dealers would be put out of business by legal drug vendors.
The regulation of the drug market would greatly reduce drug-related deaths -- you'd know for sure what you'd be getting.

check out the Drug Policy Alliance for more info.
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male
Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2007-03-22

Back to top Go down

Drugs Empty Re: Drugs

Post by ststeff Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:07 am

those are some awsoem points there but again if anyone was allowed drugs kids wouldnt think negative about them or think they're "bad", cause I think thats ione of the main reaosons why there isnt MORE kids dealing or taking drugs, and so loads of kids would start taking drugs without really knowing too much about them. I dunno what I agree with though.

ststeff

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-04-13

http://www.antisilent.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:35 am

good point, but:
obviously there would be a legal age just like alcohol. also, there is this group called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. they're all cops and retired cops, and they go around to high schools and colleges explaining why the war on drugs is bad. one of the biggest reasons we should end the war on drugs, they say, is because it doesnt do anything to fix the drug problem in america. when drugs were not yet illegal in the US, 1.3 percent of the population was addicted to drugs --this was in the 1920s or 30s. then drugs started to become illegal. still 1.3% addicted. then in 1970 president nixon started the war on drugs, which made drug laws a lot more strict and penalties a lot more harsh. and there was still 1.3% of the population addicted to drugs. so the drug war hasnt done shit except waste money, time, and jail cells.

i dont know if anybody else here has had to take the DARE (Drug and Alcohol Resistance Education, i think) program, but i did in elementary school. and they taught me that marijuana is a gateway drug. now, that theory has been proven false in several studies. they also generally taught that if you ever try any drug ever, even if its only once, that you have thrown your life away. also false (look at me Very Happy). they pretty much tried to scare you away from drugs, which sounds effective, unless you're like me. around 6th or 7th grade i started getting tired of hearing the same bullshit from my DARE officer/teacher, and soon it didnt scare me anymore. i actually think it made me want to do drugs just to prove them wrong.
so what we need to do is stop teaching the DARE program and start respecting students enough to at least tell them the truth about drugs. because one hit of cocaine isnt going to kill you, but thats a pretty slippery slope. one hit could turn into two, and so on, yadda yadda addiction yadda yadda.

i probably didnt explain that part too well, but if you're still interested, here's a good example. in 2006 the mayor of bridgeport, connecticut admitted to using cocaine while in office
Mayor Fabrizi wrote:"I'm ashamed. I'm humiliated for myself. I never meant to let the world know. I didn't want my family to know," Fabrizi told the newspaper.
"I do believe that he's got to resign," said Rick Torres, a Republican who ran against Fabrizi in 2003. "How do we explain to children drug use is dangerous and can ruin your life if the top guy is a drug user?"
You can't. Because as with any other vice, it's all about moderation. Sure, there are drugs that are more addictive and drugs that are incredibly dangerous, but this guy is one of thousands of highly successful individuals who used drugs on occassion. Perhaps by giving up the lie that any and all drug use leads to immediate destruction of your life, we can more effectively deal with real drug problems.

that was taken from www.moxiegrrrl.com
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ststeff Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:53 am

those are some awsome points, but as you said before they werent illegal and not so many people were addicted and then they went huge cause the war on drugs, but now that's sticked and I don't think they should just legalize it now, I just think maybe that the mistake lies in the beginning of the war on drugs. Cause people won't ever look at drugs the same as they did when drugs werent such a huge fuss back before the 50's 60's or whatever.

ststeff

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:12 am

the bottom line for me is i dont think the government should have any say in what i can put into my own body, as long as nobody else is getting hurt.
i know most drugs are bad and screw up a lot of peoples lives, and i think we need to fix the drug problem in america. and as strange as it sounds i think legalization will lead much less drug problems.
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ststeff Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:14 am

Well when you put it like that yeah I guess I do agree.
as long as nobody else is getting hurt.
That's an amzizing point.

ststeff

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:16 am

when i first heard somebody say they wanted all drugs legalized i thought it was insane. then i thought maybe just weed should be legalized. then i figured why not all drugs. now i know its a legit argument. one of the presidential candidates for 2008 in america says he would end the war on drugs...
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ststeff Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:49 pm

it'll be all over the news like all over the world if that happens I think, and like massive debates and stuff!

ststeff

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:39 pm

yea. i dont think he'll get elected tho. if it happens anywhere it'll happen in either europe or canada first, i bet.
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent A Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:26 am

drugs are bad mmk?

Agent A
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2007-03-21

http://www.myspace.com/adolescentxgossip

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:06 pm

Ruby Sohos wrote:drugs are bad mmk?
i agree. ...well, most of them, anyway.

on a lighter note, guess what friday is...!!!
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CanIBorrowYourHacksaw Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 am

Friday would be 4-20.

I go for my license on Friday.

Because I'd rather drive around than be stoned.

I think all drugs are completely fucking retarded.

As is smoking and drinking.

And random sex.

Bah..

STRAIGHT EDGE FOR MOTHERFUCKING LIFE.
CanIBorrowYourHacksaw
CanIBorrowYourHacksaw
boxcar Racer Fan
boxcar Racer Fan

Female
Number of posts : 331
interests : drawing and being super freakin' awesome

http://myspace.com/dealing_with_the_madness

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:53 pm

CanIBorrowYourHacksaw wrote:Friday would be 4-20.

you could always do both. although i dont recommend mixing the 2.
and i cant wait for friday Very Happy
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CanIBorrowYourHacksaw Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:31 am

its always the quiet ones wrote:
CanIBorrowYourHacksaw wrote:Friday would be 4-20.

you could always do both.

My friend Damian drives when he's high. It isn't fun. He pretends that his brakes die and we smash into things. I'd rather not end up like him.
CanIBorrowYourHacksaw
CanIBorrowYourHacksaw
boxcar Racer Fan
boxcar Racer Fan

Female
Number of posts : 331
interests : drawing and being super freakin' awesome

http://myspace.com/dealing_with_the_madness

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:05 pm

i've done it twice, and i dont plan on doing it again, unless i'm really in a jam. both times turned out fine, but if i were to get pulled over or anything i'd be in so much more trouble than if i were just at home high.
i saw a study on the speed channel (i think) where they had a guy drive around a test course once, and then made him smoke weed (one joint) and had him do the same course again. their results showed no decline in his reaction time or performance. but thats not an excuse for driving while intoxicated anyway.
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by killer_panda Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Drugs are no good for you, and that's that.

If you wanna die jump off a cliff at least you'll look neat when you hit the ground. :-)
killer_panda
killer_panda
noob
noob

Female
Number of posts : 22
interests : Drawing Anime, Watching Anime, Going Online, Eating, Sleeping, Malling, DDR-ing, Reading Manga, Play
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:11 pm

they're not good for you, but there is so much out there that is just as bad that isnt illegal.
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by raaachel Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:34 pm

True, but I really don't think drugs should be legal...
Just think about meth. The world would be an even more messed-up place if everyone was running around high on stuff like that.
Don't get me wrong, doing pot and the not-so-serious drugs like that looks and sounds fun, but I don't think drugs should be legalized.

Yeah, I kinda wish I had some points to back that up, but I don't know.
raaachel
raaachel
plus-44 Fan
plus-44 Fan

Female
Number of posts : 1663
Registration date : 2007-03-26

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=631250034

Back to top Go down

Post by its always the quiet ones Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:34 pm

nobody would be running around high. that would be illegal. i'm talking about using drugs in the privacy of peoples' homes only. the same deal with alcohol - drunk in public is illegal.
the real reason for legalizing drugs is to try to get less people addicted. its confusing at first, but drug laws dont do anything to help. if drugs were legal, we could send addicts to places like hospitals and clinics where they can be treated. sending them to jail just teaches them how to get more drugs and how not to get caught.
if drugs were legal the would be no more drug dealers or gangs either
FREAK!!
FREAK!!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by raaachel Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:11 pm

Hmmm... Very true.
I don't know, though. Even if people did it in the privacy of their own homes, I don't think it would be a good or ok thing.
And with the whole treatment center thing: Even if people did go to treatment centers or rehab for drug use, I don't think it would have much of an effect.
Think about the fact that people go to treatment for alcohol abuse or eating disorders or any other kind of issues... It doesn't make less people use or do these things.

It's kind of a lose-lose situation... Because you're right about how people going to jail for drugs just teaches them where and how to get more drugs, but if drugs were legal there would be a lot of problems and concequences.
And when would people decide enough is enough? Like at what point would people realize that they need to get help?
See, I just don't know.
But you have very good points.
raaachel
raaachel
plus-44 Fan
plus-44 Fan

Female
Number of posts : 1663
Registration date : 2007-03-26

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=631250034

Back to top Go down